What are appropriate sources to use in the orientation phase? Name two.
The quickest way to find an initial subject is to look in a printed or online handbook or reference work. Look in the index and find the relevant entry. You will find the most important basic information about your subject.
Name two ways to define your topic.
There are various ways to define a topic, for example:
- geographical: which country/region?
- period: which year(s), decade, century?
- language: Dutch, English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic...
For the following subject, find
- a synonym
- a different spelling
- a broader search term that will produce more results
Subject: Renaissance painting in 14th-century Tuscany
If you have looked in handbooks or encyclopaedias, for example, you might have discovered the following:
- A synonym for the term ‘renaissance’ is ‘rebirth’, and ‘mannerism’ is the term for the late Renaissance.
- ‘14th-century’ can also be written as ‘fourteenth-century’.
- The 14th century is still within the period of history known as the Middle Ages, but the Renaissance continues into the Early Modern period.
- Tuscany is Toscana in Italian.
- ‘Italy’ is a broader search term for ‘Tuscany’.
These are just a few possible answers.