In this chapter an overview of important electronic and printed historical sources for Early Modern History is presented. The University Library of Groningen owns a collection of printed sources held in the closed stacks or on the open shelves in the reading rooms. Another part of the collection of historical sources is available online.
Ealy modern sources published in print
Electronic source collections; overview sites
- Bronnen, Data en Tools of Huygens INGSelect 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
- Circulation of Knowledge and Learned Practices in the 17th-century Dutch Republic This link opens in a new window
- DelpherHistorical Dutch books, newspapers and magazines (17 t / m 20th century).
- Dutch Pamphlets Online This link opens in a new window
- Early American Imprints Series (Evans)Full-text source of America from 1639 to 1800.
- Early American Imprints Series (Evans) - TCP Open AccessFull-text source about America 1639-1800 in Open Access.
- Early Dutch Books Online10.000 Dutch books (1781-1800) in facsimile. Early Dutch Books Online gives full-text access to over two million pages from 10.000 books from the Dutch-language region from the 1781-1800 period.
The project resulted from a collaboration between the Royal Dutch Library and the University libraries of Amsterdam and Leyden. Books from the Rare Book collections of these libraries have been digitized and have been made fully searchable at individual word level.
- Early English Books online (EEBO)All English books from around 1475-1700, in facsimile.
- Early English Books Online (EBOO) - TCP Open AccessAll English books from around 1475-1700, in Open Access and fully searchable.
- Early European Books OnlineCollection of books from all over Europe from the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries in facsimile.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO)Publications from the 18th century in Britain.
- Eighteenth Century Collections online (ECCO) - TCP Open AccessPublications from the 18th century in Britain in Open Access.
- Encyclopedie Nederlandstalige tijdschriftenTitles of Dutch-language newspapers and magazines in which at least the first issue was published before 1815.
- General Resolutions of Batavia Castle 1613-1810 This link opens in a new window331 volumes from the period 1613-1810.
- Google Books This link opens in a new window
- Rijks Geschiedkundige Publicatiën This link opens in a new window
- Sixteenth Century Pamphlets Online This link opens in a new window
- Soundtoll registers OnlineFrom the period 1497 to 1857.
About sources for historians
- - Boone, Marc. Historici en hun métier. Gent, 2007.ISBN: 9789038211190
- - Claus, Peter and John Marriot. History. New York, 2014.ISBN: 9781317866091
- - Jordanova, Ludmilla. The Look of the Past. Cambridge, 2012.ISBN: 9780521882422
Electronic source collections: miscellanious
- Acta der Particuliere Synoden van Zuid-Holland 1621-1700 This link opens in a new window
- Acta van het consistorie van de Nederlandse gemeente te Londen 1569-1585 This link opens in a new window
- Archivalia uit de Baltische landen met betrekking tot de Nederlandse geschiedenis 1191-1792 This link opens in a new window
- Archivalia uit Italië met betrekking tot de geschiedenis van Nederland 649-1850 This link opens in a new window
- Archivalia uit Zweden met betrekking tot de geschiedenis van Nederland 1520-1920 This link opens in a new window
- Archives ou correspondance inédite de la maison d'Orange-Nassau This link opens in a new window
- Digitaal oorkondenboek Groningen en Drenthe This link opens in a new window
Questions? Ask the experts:
Subjects: Faculty of Arts