This guide covers a set of high-quality sources of information for European Languages and Cultures that can be a good starting point for your research. There is also a library guide for each language.
- Academic Search Premier This link opens in a new windowMultidisciplinary bibliographic and full-text database
- Web of Science core collection This link opens in a new windowSearch the world’s leading scholarly journals, books, and proceedings in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities and navigate the full citation network
- Scopus This link opens in a new windowCovers a large part of the English-language literature in science, medicine and parts of the social sciences and arts and humanities.
- Van Dale Dictionaries This link opens in a new windowBilingual dictionaries from and into Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish, and the 'Dikke Van Dale' (Dutch dictionary).
Online dictionaries of Van Dale can also be accessed via smartphone or tablet, by means of the Van Dale App! Once the app has been downloaded, you can open the app and click on the Surfspot link on the bottom of the log in screen to log in with your UG account.
Newspapers and magazines
- Nexis UniNexis Uni® features more than 15,000 news, business and legal sources from LexisNexis, including Dutch and international newspapers
- Europeana NewspapersEuropean newspapers from 20 countries, dating from 1618 to 1996. A help guide and A-Z list of all titles are available
- EurozineEurozine is an online magazine which publishes articles from a network of European cultural journals with additional translations into one of the major European languages
- EUObserver This link opens in a new windowDaily reports and in-depth coverage on international affairs related to the European Union.
- European Review of Books This link opens in a new windowMagazine with reviews, essays and more. Contributions are published in the author's own language and in English.
- More newspapers and news resources in the LibGuide Journalism This link opens in a new window
Where can you find books on European Languages and Cultures?
On the 2nd floor in the University Library you will find:
However, the largest part of the printed collection is in closed stacks. Furthermore, a growing collection of e-books is available. SmartCat offers access to both collections.
- LibGuide Art History This link opens in a new window
- LibGuide Arts, Culture & Media This link opens in a new window
- LibGuide Modern and Contemporary History This link opens in a new window
- LibGuide Early Modern History This link opens in a new window
Questions? Ask the experts:
Subjects: Faculty of Arts