Use your UG/UMCG PC and email address
To make use of the open access deals,
- the submitting author must be an employee of the UMCG or the University of Groningen.
- the UMCG must be mentioned as an affiliation of the submitting author.
- the submitting author must be recognized as a member to receive the discount. Therefore, always submit your article using a UMCG/UG computer and your UMCG/UG email address! Virtual workplaces are functional as well (i.e. "uwp.rug.nl" and "toegang.umcg.nl").
- Use the Journal Browser to see if a 'read and publish deal' is applicable, including the earliest submission date (click on journal title)
- Check if the article type is covered by the deal.
- For some deals, an annual quotum is applicable. In any case, the reference date is the date of acceptance (and not the submission date). This implies that sometimes the deal will be temporarily suspended.
Open access literature is published under public copyright licenses (such as Creative Commons licences). By using a Creative Commons license for your publication, you retain all of your rights, but give others permission to disseminate the work, share it with others and – with some licenses – to edit the work. With a choice of six standard licenses (available free of charge), you can determine the extent to which and under what terms and conditions your work may be further distributed.
Although we encourage choosing the most open license whenever possible (CC BY), the UG doesn’t have mandatory requirements regarding CC licenses. 'As open as possible, as closed as necessary'
Please consider that your funder might have a specific policy about CC licenses (e.g. cOAlition S funders require the use of CC BY). If you have any doubts about which license to opt for, please contact us or consult the guide above.
Add the correct affiliation details!
It's important that the address field of all UMCG scientific publications contain the following string:
The order of this string is crucial for the ranking of the University and the UMCG!
The addition of departmental or other details is recommended, but only AFTER this string.
This also counts for publications on which the UMCG has participated with a corresponding author outside the UMCG or the University Groningen.
How to find trusted OA journals?
Add Journal Browser to your browser
How to use the JournalBrowser bookmarklet?
- Select the title of the journal on a webpage, and click the bookmarklet in the Bookmark bar of your browser.
You will be presented with the results in the Journal browser!
- OR Click the JournalBrowser bookmarklet in your Bookmark bar.
A search box will pop-up where you can add the search terms!
Installation in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer 10 or higher:
- Simply DRAG the link to the bookmarks toolbar of your browser: JournalBrowser
(In some cases you need to make your Bookmark Bar visible first via the Settings of your browser.
Some browsers might block the pop-up at first. Simply allow it to work, and try again.
You can safely ignore security warnings you may receive.)
For tablets and mobile devices
Click in the textbox below to select the code:
Alternative ways to add the search (for search nerds and librarians ;-)
There are also ways to ADD the JournalBrowser search to your browser search engines (in preparation):
- Add JournalBrowser search to your FIREFOX search engines
Go to https://mycroftproject.com/search-engines.html?name=journalbrowser in firefox and click on the JournalBrowser RUG part.
- Add JournalBrowser search to your CHROME search engines
- Go to Chrome Settings and scroll down to "Manage Search Engines" and click on it.
- Click the "ADD" button; a pop-up appears where you can fill in the NAME of the search engine (Type JournalBrowser or Check Dutch OA Deals ;-)
- Add as Keyword: Open Access (a keyword is required)
- Add the following URL: http://journalbrowser.rug.nl/WebQuery/rugbrowser?q=%s AND CLICK ADD
- If you make the JournalBrowser DEFAULT, you can just type in the journal title in the browser address bar, or
- select a text on a page, and Right-Click while choosing the JournalBrowser search
The information provided has been carefully composed. While the information contained within the libguide is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this libguide is correct, complete, and up to date. Therefore we disclaim all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained with this libguide.